Incident Management

Incident Management is designed to report, track and investigate incidents related to employee misconducts, merits, or job place safety, accidents etc.

Visit What is Employee Incident Management for more details.

Use cases:

• An employee could report an incident of being bullied by managers or colleagues
  • A manager could report an incident of unsatisfactory employee performance due to negligence etc
  • Anyone could report a safety concerned incident at workplace to draw the Employer’s attention
  • A customer’s complaint or satisfactory feedback about an employee’s service
  • An employee or manager could commend another employee’s meritorious deed
  • An employee forgetting to clock out could file a report to request for time clock adjustment
  • An employee’s incident records may be referenced in performance appraisal, or for punitive actions such as dismissal
  • Use Case Example: Employee Misconduct

There are 2 types of incidents:

• One which could be attributed to certain employee, such as employee misconduct
  • Causeless incident, which you cannot identify the employee responsible, or simply cannot be attributed to any employee, such as workplace safety issue, hygiene problem etc.

A new incident could be reported by:

• Employer (Admin or HR Roles)
  • Employee
  • Anonymous Employee (i.e. an employee could report it without revealing the reporting employee’s identity)

After reporting a new incident, the Employer may:

• Start an investigation
  • Close the incident by making a decision without starting an investigation
  • Disregard the incident by deleting it or leaving it KIV

When an investigation is opened against an incident:

• The subject employee may explain or submit evidence to prove his / her innocence
  • The managers (Line Manager, Head of Department, Head of Branch) may join the investigation
  • 3 additional Custom Roles may be specified to join the investigation
  • An existing decision will be cleared if an investigation is in Open status, you can only make a decision against an incident when the investigation is in either Not Started or Closed status
  • “Explain By” date could only be specified if an investigation is in Open or Closed status

Incident status:

• An incident could be in one of the three possible status, i.e. Open, Under Investigation and Closed.
    • Open: when an incident is first reported, investigation is not started and decision is not made
    • Under Investigation: an investigation is opened
    • Closed: when a decision is made
  • Therefore, you can only make a decision against an incident if there is no Open investigation

On Employee portal, there are 3 incident related sections:

• Submission - for reporting new incidents by an employee. All incidents reported by the employee except those reports anonymously will appear in this section
  • Myself - incidents reported against the employee will appear here
  • Team - incidents for my team members, i.e. if I am a Line Manager, Head of Department, Head of Department or one of the Custom Roles specified in an incident category

Access rights:

• An incident will only be accessible to employees and managers after the Employee opens an investigation. If an incident remains in “Not Started” investigation status, it will not be accessible to any employee (including anonymous employee), other than the employee who reports this incident
  • Whether your role is accessible to an incident, view or join the investigation, it is determined by the access right in each incident category
  • For instance, if you are a Line Manager, but your access right is “After Decision Made”, then you will only be able to see the incident of your team members after a decision is made against the incident

Company rules:

• You may indicate which company rule or policy is applicable to a particular Incident Type via the Rule field
  • Besides, you may also indicate the Weight of a particular Incident Type (i.e. the severity or gravity), and the Incident Type will be listed in ascending order according to the Weight value

Related incidents:

• As an employer, you may check all incidents of the same type that have been reported when you are viewing any incident
  • This is to facilitate decision making for situations such as when certain type of penalty should be meted out if the same violation has been repeated for certain number of times, e.g. AWOL for 3 times will lead to Dismissal etc

Notifications:

• When a new incident is reported by an employee, Admin or HR Roles will receive notifications
  • When an investigation is opened against an incident, all stakeholders will be notified
  • When there is any response from the stakeholders in the investigation, other stakeholders will be notified
  • When an incident is closed, all stakeholders will be notified

If you have any doubts beyond what is explained here, kindly reply to this post.

1 Like

thank you for this amazing feature. we need more update in hr.my web application, as like as performance appraisal and many other things, Thank you Kapchew …

I have always wanted to work on Performance Appraisal, but unfortunately I could not have a complete picture about this feature yet. Many discussions about Performance Appraisal did not end up with sufficient information for me to start the design, such as this one: HR.my Upcoming Features Todo List - #116 by kapchew

1 Like

Hi @kapchew , Please see picture and the note I have drawn. my question is the #1 bracket has 2 is subject for SUSPENSION and #2 Bracket is for FINE. can we link those bracketed violation in to one new violation?

Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean, can you illustrate with more details?

Suppose an employee committed their first offense on January 3, which was AWOL (absent without leave). For this violation, the employer issued a warning for suspension. Then, on January 9, the same employee committed a second offense, which was another instance of AWOL. As a result, the employer issued a suspension.

The question then arises of how to treat the first offense in relation to the second offense, in order to arrive at the decision to issue a suspension. In this case, it seems that the employer decided to treat the two instances of AWOL as a single violation, and imposed a suspension as the sanction. This approach allowed the employer to simplify the process of tracking and enforcing workplace rules and sanctions.

I see.

What if I provide one more tab in the Incident window, where you may check “Similar” incidents, i.e. incidents of the same type?

This way when you are viewing the 3 Jan incident, it will show the 9 Jan incident in the “Similar” tab, while you view the 9 Jan incident, the 3 Jan incident will appear in the “Similar” tab.

More something like a milestone. And then we can you it for Performance appraisal. You close to developing the Appraisal because I see a “praise” on the list

Er… sorry that I don’t get your entire message. Can you explain with more details?

Sorry for the confusion, to explain details; 1. When I make an entry. Maybe you add an option where I can append an existing violation.

Isn’t it very tedious?

What if I provide a summary view with the count of each incident type? such as:

Misconduct: 3 counts
Accident: 2 counts

does it meet your need?

Maybe like this…

For this, I suggest that there is a different tab when you click in, that shows “Similar” incidents.

Kindly refer to what I explained here: Incident Management - #8 by kapchew

okay so this is what you meant… I have something in mind but I can’t picture it out yet maybe I will suggest it to you later. :slight_smile: thank you

Er… it’s better that you tell me what you have in mind now, as once I started work on the design, there is no turning back, that means it’s very hard to change later as the cost is very expensive.

Actually, you just have to focus on what you “NEED” and I will try to tell you possible solutions, and you evaluate if that solution could work for your “NEED”.

For instance, Incident Management - #8 by kapchew

Does this solution allow you to know how many offences an employee commits? From my perspective it should work, and it takes away the manual grouping work from users like what you suggested.

hmm… What I need is

1. Report Section Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly
  2. Investigation section I need an explanation just like story, date explained. and an attachment so I could take a photo of the explanation from the letter and attached.
  3. please include it in alert on the Home
    I guess that’s it. Thank you for you great work.

Have you tried out the investigation feature? I think it already serves your need.

This is the idea that I am talking about:

This incident will show 2 related incidents which are of the exact type, i.e. AWOL

yes this good. and also , I just want to point out this;

This completely another violation if committed that is why I need also to append existing violations